Sunday 9 March 2014

The Dutch Touch

I wanted to post this to pay tribute to the work of the Dutch Touch dynamic duo, Ankie Daanen and Marlaine Verhelst.




Ankie told us about their history together which dates back more than 30 years!  Ankie went to an international doll show and fell in love with art dolls.  She went back to the same show three, four times trying to take it all in.  She then went home and searched for teachers in her area and came across Marlaine Verhelst.  She immediately contacted her and took her first doll sculpting classes.  They became instant friends.

Both of these ladies have gone on to become master doll makers with international success.  Both were selected to be members of NIADA (National Institute of American Doll artists), a select group of international doll artists of all media that are chosen to promote the art of doll making.

Their dolls are similar and yet so different, each with character and personality. Although Ankie was Marlaine's student, they both developed their art in Holland while remaining friends and feeding off of each other's work while developing their own style.

Ankie tends to make dolls with elaborate costumes while Marlaine seems to enjoy dolls paired with animal friends.  If I were to have to choose I would want one doll from both these wonderful doll artists but I would not know how to choose just one from each artist!

Dolls by Marlaine Verhelst

A doll by Ankie Daanen

Doll by Ankie Daanen

Sadly, I know first hand how difficult it is to remain friends in the same small market that is the world of art dolls without being jealous of your friend and without doubting yourself and feeling threatened by their success.

 I was so impressed with these ladies as not only teachers but more importantly as women to admire and to emulate, two friends that can work with each other and bring out the best in one another while inspiring their students to do the same.  My hats off to you and I do hope that in my life I too can bring out the best in others and inspire my fellow doll artists, after all that is what life is all about!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...