Thursday 10 April 2014

The Velveteen Rabbit

I was not fortunate enough to come across the children's story book titled "The Velveteen Rabbit" by Margery Williams until later in life.  Actually, it was my dear sister who gifted me the book on my birthday a number of years ago.

I read the book as an adult and fell in love with it!  It is a timeless story about childhood and toys and love.  This story is about a lovely Velveteen Rabbit who was given to a lucky boy for Christmas.  The Rabbit was well loved, but time passed and slowly he became dirty and worn out.  By this time the Rabbit wanted to become real, just like the "Skin Horse".

This story touched my heart and if you have never read it, please do read it and read it to your children, your nieces and nephews and to your grandchildren for it is a story that has held a special place in the hearts of children (and adults) for generations.

This wee bunny is my tribute to the "Velveteen Rabbit".

Here he is with his own toy.  He is about 7" tall.


I found a lovely faux velveteen that was so easy to sew at my local, wonderful fabric store called "Gala Fabrics" here in Victoria, BC.

The "Velveteen Rabbit" and a few of his friends that I made for him are now in the gift shop at the Coast Collective Gallery in Victoria just in time for Easter!

Bear with his Easter bunny slippers and green "blankie"


The flower pot bears are only 3.5 " tall and they are ready for Easter.  The little one with his bunny slippers is just 4" tall and carries his Easter blankie with him wherever he goes.  What a funny group!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...