Saturday 29 August 2015

Wooly Critters

I have fallen in love with "critters" made from repurposed wool and/or cotton sweaters.  I first saw these marvellous creations made by "Sweet Poppy Cat" on pinterest and I decided I would give it a try.

Turns out making "Wooly Critters" is addictive.  I visit a number of thrift stores in the area and pick up sweaters to use.  Next I bring them home and wash them in the washing machine (like colours together, of course) using hot water wash with added soap and a cold water rinse.  This shrinks the wool sweaters so that they will not unravel when sewn.  Finally I throw them in the dryer and dry with heat to further "felt" the sweaters.  Now the fun begins:  I decide on a critter, be it cat, dog, lamb, monster, reindeer, etc, etc and I make a sketch on freezer paper to fit one side of the sweater.  Iron the pattern to the front of the chosen sweater, then cut out the pattern and create a hole for the face piece.  I kept two light coloured sweaters specifically for use as faces.  I add the face details, the heart or front pocket, the ears etc. by hand using embroidery floss. Finally I use the sewing machine to sew the front to the back and voila, a "Wooly Critter" is formed.

Without further ado here is the collection:


The Happy Striped Cat Family

Made with one of my old wool sweaters.  This one is going to a friend.

This doggy was made from my dad's vest and is now living in Alberta!

A fat, happy cat made with another of my old sweaters.

This colourful feline was made from a child's cotton sweater.


Yes, a sock monkey got into the mix.  I knit him the sweater and cap.

But wait there are more:


Two doggies waiting for their bone.

A lambie and Blizten.

The sweater let me know that it wanted to become a reindeer!

I just love this lamb with his heart in his pocket!


"Twinkle Toes" doubles as a pyjama bag (zipper in the back)

I call this one the Giggle Monster.

MacGordon the goofy Scottish cat.

Two sweet bunnies.

Rudolf, of course

A bandit!

Buddy made with my left over wool sweater and a repurposed cotton sweater for his overalls.

The cat on the front of this sweater dictated that this critter would be a cat!

The Flower Monster made with a Liz Clairborne cotton repurposed sweater.

Flower Monster bids adieu for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...