Friday 15 January 2016

Steampunk Crows

The crow is really a magical bird as is known in many cultures as a shape shifter.  Crows are highly intelligent, fascinating creatures and this is part of the reason that I love to use them in my creative process.

Since this is the beginning of 2016, I started my year with a set of three steampunk crows.  I used the basic pattern from Frowning Frances and then adapted, added, shifted, as we all do in the creative process.

My first crow is called "The Traveller".  He has travelled the world over and settled on the beautiful shores of Vancouver Island on a path full of shells and bits of ocean debris.


He carries a wee bird nest with his buddy on board and is ready to settle down.

Next, I decided that the crow is the ideal bird for Valentine's day as he has a great sense of family and co-operation.  This second piece is entitled "I Give you My Heart" and depicts the crow holding the key to his heart.  he carries many locks and keys and sports a felt top hat complete with side feather.  I decided that for his base he needed a "heart" themed stand.  I used a plain wooden faux spool (available at Michaels) and gessoed it before giving it a coat of paint. Next I built a heart on the top of the spool using my stash of red buttons.  I then decorated the spool with velvet wired ribbon, hand-crocheted flowers, silk and velvet flowers, and paper flowers.  I glued him to his stand and added a final large key at his feet.  I just love him.

He stands proudly offering his heart and the key to his heart.

A close up of the button heart and the spool decoration that I made.


This shows his chest with the assortment of locks and keys.

Another look at the spool decoration.
Finally, I made one last crow to represent the creative process.  This crow is all about the "journey of the imagination".  He is adorned with tape measures, fabric and a thimble on his back.  A zipper on his back, time pieces, keys and sports a leather cap with fine feathers.  Of course, when one creates, one stops for a tea break as represented by the tea caddy he holds!



I hope you enjoyed my January creative journey.  The crows will be for sale at the Coast Collective Art Centre (Wale Rd) in Victoria, BC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...