Thursday 8 December 2016

Frida Kahlo

I love making Frida Kahlo dolls as for me she is an icon.  She was born in 1907 just three years before the Mexican revolution and she has a physically painful life due to an accident that took her right leg when she was just 19.  Due to her accident she could no longer study medicine (she had wanted to become a doctor) but found art as her escape.  

Frida embraced life to the fullest, her pain, her joy, her love of art, her love of Mexico and Mexican folk art and her love of nature and animals.

My inspiration for this piece was  a photo of one of Frida's folkloric Mexican outfits and Frida's red prosthetic leg:



I used the technique that I learned from Shelley Thornton but with a painted face rather than embroidered:


I found the perfect Mexican folk art chair and went from there:









As you can see, I crocheted flowers for her hair and made her a black cat and a Milagro Mexican heart pendant.  I hope you enjoy her.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore Frida Kahlo! You did a wonderful job on the doll, she is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! She looks great! I love the details-- especially the leg prosthetic. You put a lot of work in this, and it shows.

    ReplyDelete

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...