Thursday 16 March 2017

More Mermaids Swim In

Well, as many of you know, once I start on a theme, I work in groups.  Once I finished my first mermaid piece, I started making another and then another.  I am presenting them now. 

The second mermaid, I call "Deep Waters".  She was inspired by the luscious embroidered black fabric that I had in my large stash.  I used Arley Beryhill's mermaid pattern as the starting point.  I used a cotton batik fabric for the flesh tones of her skin and then "skinned" her face after needle sculpting  (the technique I learned from Angela Jarecki).

I was very pleased with the results!  Next came the finishing touches of beading and trims, hair and her glamour mirror and a lovely shell seat.  Here she is:



Next, I wanted a full-figured mermaid.  Mermaids come in all shapes and sizes too!

I choose a pattern by Cyndi Mahlasdt (I took a workshop with her in the early 2000's).  I used a "doll skin" fabric (stretchy) for her skin and a bathing suit fabric for the body tail.  I just love this full figured mermaid gal:

I went to town on her embellishments, especially on her tail fin, back and headdress:

Tail fin with organza free-motion embroidery and hand beading plus added shells

Back with rouched and beaded trim and hand-dyed gauze shawl

Her face has purple glass eyes with added eyelids and nose details for that deep ocean fishy look.
Can you tell that I love to add details to my work?  Of course this mermaid "Amethyst" demand, in her gentle come hither way, to have a shell throne and I complied. 

I mad the throne using a wooded chair that was past it's prime (broken legs and spines) and used wire to reshape it into a throne.  I covered the chair and added shape by adding aluminum foil.  I then used plate cloth (available in craft stores) to cover the entire throne with strips of the cloth to strengthen the structure.  I waited for it to dry and then painted it and used celluclay (craft stores again) to add shells and pearls as part of the throne:


Back of throne showing velvet butterfly and organza seaweed

Side view showing embedded shells.
Well, I loved, loved making my mermaids and they will be featured in a local fine art show at the end of April (April 28-30) here in Sidney, BC.  I am providing the link to the show should you be in the Greater Victoria area and want to visit my mermaids (and many more pieces!).
http://spacsociety.com/member-benefits/spring-show/

Bye for now and hope to see you at the Saanich Peninsula Arts and Crafts Society Fine Arts Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ornaments Galore

  It is mid October and I have just finished making a gaggle of Christmas ornaments in preparation for the holidays: There are reindeers, pa...